Home Decor Room Redux: Update Your Space on the Cheap

6334620019_07f8fb6243_z-1.jpg

Think of room accessories as jewelry. Sometimes all you need to revamp an old outfit is a bold cuff and a sparkly pair of earrings. The same goes for rooms. There are plenty of ways to change up your home on the cheap. Here are a few of my favorite ways to mix it up and give a room an entirely new personality without breaking the bank:

Paint. Believe it or not, I used to paint my room several times a year. Why? It made everything feel fresh and brand new. Paint is also an inexpensive way to transform a space based on the season.

Pillows. Swap out accent pillows for an instant pick me up. For example, a few crimson throw pillows can instantly take your bedroom from summer to fall.

Artwork. Swap out your wall art for something that’s seasonally relevant. Or you can even try rotating artwork around within your home. I adore AllPosters.com since you can buy pieces that are framed and ready to go. New artwork is like a mini facelift for rooms.

Flowers. This is another inexpensive yet effective method for changing up a room. Flowers not only add a lovely splash of color, they offer a seasonal vibe as well.

Candles. Did you know scent is one of the strongest senses? A particular smell can completely change your perception of a space. Scented candles are an excellent way to change the ambience of a room.

Curtains. Give new life to a basic space by spicing it up with pretty drapes. Or update your curtains based on the season. Create a cozy atmosphere by subbing in heavier materials during the colder months. As for spring and summer, opt for lighter fabrics that are diaphanous or lightweight.

The best piece of advice I can offer is to make your space “update friendly” by furnishing your home with neutral colors such as white, beige, camel or grey. Having a neutral backdrop to work with will grant you the freedom to make simple updates with greater ease. In Laguna, I did my room mostly white with turquoise accents. The white setting allowed me to swap out the turquoise pieces for other colors depending on the season.

6335382828_85700845c3_z-1.jpg