Art & Craft Crafty Creations: Get Glossed

A simple way to work this trend into your home is by spray-painting a home accessory with high gloss white paint. You can paint almost anything—lamps, vases, candlesticks…you name it. I was so inspired after researching this trend I decided to give it a shot. One sheet of sandpaper, three brass candleholders and two cans of spray paint later I was left with three beautifully finished candlesticks clad in high gloss white. Très chic!

6324135656_ca3f164411_b-1.jpg

The entire operation took about 30 minutes, plus two hours for drying. Needless to say, it was well worth the wait. Below are step-by-step instructions on how you can transform old lackluster home items into trendy, glossy new pieces. Photos courtesy of yours truly. Happy crafting!

What you will need…

6323611451_07b6d4f37a-1.jpg

Vintage brass candlesticks (If you want to refinish something that’s wood or metal, my instructions will work for you too! You can apply this DIY to most home accessories)
Sandpaper
High gloss white spray paint
Primer spray
Newspaper or drop cloth (It’s going to get messy!)

6323620425_686e714669_b-1.jpg

Pour a little water onto the sandpaper.

Sand the entire surface of the candlesticks (or item you are going to paint).

Make sure the surface is very clean before sanding.

Spray all surfaces with one coat of primer. Dry for 30 minutes to one hour.

Finally, spray all surfaces with two coats of high gloss white paint. Dry for one hour. If you think it needs one more coat, repeat this step.

There you have it—high style home décor in just four steps!