Art & Craft Chinese Soup Spoon Wall

Mandeep Kaur Guraya

MAIN JATTI PUNJAB DI ..
Note : this is made by someone else ...but I loved the idea :x so sharing it here :dr

Love is All You Need

Something about the Chinese soup spoon - the white shiny surface, the wide spoon area - calls out to me like a blank canvas. It’s also a fixture in my life…a symbol of childhood and culture, of home, and of comfort. Of love.

And I love The Beatles. All you need is love, bum bum bumbum be dum, Love is all you need.

######

Here’s how my “Love is All You Need” Chinese Soup Spoon Wall Art came together.

Materials:

Four Chinese Soup Spoons, such as these MIU France Chinese Soup Spoon, Bone China, Set of 12, which are very similar in size to these ones I got at a local Asian supermarket.

Mod Podge Dimensional Magic

Wood Pieces. You can use several pieces of wood glued/nailed together, or one big piece.

A strong glue, such as Gorilla Glue.

Black and red cardstock

Scissors

A template to cut out letters. You can use an electronic cutter like a Cricut, or you can print out letters and trace them and cut out by hand as I did.
Heart shaped paper punch (or cut it by hand).

Transfer paper, ballpoint pen or stylus, acrylic paint and thin paint brush to paint lettering (or you can use a stencil and stencil brush)

Hanging hardware and twine

Directions:

The Dimensional Magic takes a while to dry, so I started with the spoons. First, cut out your letters. I printed out the letters L, V and E using MS Word with Britannic Bold Font, 150 pt. I cut out the letters and then traced them onto black cardstock, and cut out the cardstock. Also cut out a red heart for the letter O.

######

Place them into the spoons and fill with Dimensional Magic about 1/2 of the way.

######

Notes on using Dimensional Magic:

* Don’t shake the bottle or you will get air bubbles, which are really hard to pop! If you do get air bubbles, use a toothpick to either try to pop it, or just swish it to the side where it won’t be seen…just make sure it’s not directly above the cardstock.

* The directions on the Dimensional Magic says it takes 3 hours to dry, but it looks like that’s if it’s a thin layer. Because mine is about 1/4 inch thick, it takes a lot longer! I let mine dry for 12 hours, so plan your day accordingly. Sometimes it looked like it was dry, but when I tipped the spoon over, the Dimensional Magic still sloshed around. Which brings me to…

* Don’t move the spoons too much as they’re drying. And make sure you set them aside too so you don’t knock them over.

* But…do check on your spoons periodically. Sometimes the cardstock will float up or reposition lopsidedly. Sometimes, air bubbles will form. Use a toothpick to gently reposition things and pop/swish bubbles to the side.

* Don’t wear a dry clean only sweater while using Dimensional Magic. You will no doubt put your elbow in it.

While the spoons are drying, start working on the wood pieces. I found a bag of wood pieces for $2 at the thrift store.

######

You can either nail them together or glue them as I did. Or, use one big piece of wood. I used Gorilla Glue, following the directions (wet the surface and apply a super thin bead of glue, let dry for 30-60 minutes). I first glued six pieces together, then glued three pieces together.

######

I painted the words onto the three pieces. I didn’t glue the three pieces to the rest of them, just in case I messed up (This would also be my first time free-hand painting letters (well sort of…I used transfer paper first)). The font I used was Bauhaus, 100 pt.

The transfer paper was from a stash of vintage sewing supplies I found at a yard sale. I used a ballpoint pen to trace the letters.

######

Then I used a thin brush to paint on 3 coats of acrylic paint. When dry, glue the 3 pieces of wood to the rest of the pieces.

######

When the spoons and wood are dry, center the spoons onto the wood. Lightly dampen the back of the spoon and the wood where the spoon will go, and apply a very thin layer of Gorilla Glue. It may seem that the spoon won’t stick, but just give it a gentle press and leave it there. The glue will expand and it will stick.

######

Finally, add your hanging hardware. I’m using these eye hook thingys, and some twine.

######

I decided to hang this on my front door until I make something new for Spring!

######

######

#Jatt On Hunt

Staff member
dr.gif