VW Jetta

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member

The Jetta was unveiled first in Time Square, New York, in June and the world media drive was held in San Francisco last month. The reason for launching and having the first drive of the Jetta in the States was that it is the largest selling Volkswagen model in the US and the company is looking at increasing its market share.

The new Jetta looks much sharper than the existing model and has also grown in size. The front now looks quite like the Golf and the Polo from the VW family of Walter Desilva design. The rear end of this car looks a lot like the Audi A4 and, as the car has grown in size, you can mistake it for an Audi A4 until you look at the VW monogram.

The longer wheelbase has allowed the designers to liberate a lot of space in the cabin, especially rear
leg room. The interior has also improved over the present Jetta and the bar has been raised a couple of notches higher.

The US spec cars had three different engines: one diesel, two-litre TDI and two petrol 2 TSI and 2.5-litre, five-cylinder ones derived from the Lamborghini Gallardo. The engine delivers more than adequate performance and the power is transmitted through a five- and six-speed manual and a six-speed auto 'box.

The drive from downtown San Francisco to Bodega Bay had a nice mix of roads with some mountainous sections consisting of tight corners and a little stretch of freeway as well. The car performed exceptionally well round the tight corners, giving a good feedback through the steering and holding its line round those turns. Its straight line stability was also top class. Some of the roads in downtown Frisco reminded me of the ones back home and the ride quality was a little harsh compared to the present Jetta's, but that may be due to the low 45 profile tyres.

The US version has the cheaper torsion beam rear suspension compared to the European model that will come with a multi-link rear suspension.

The new Jetta has grown considerably in size and can justify a premium over the competition. The new car will come to India towards the end of next year.

Bgrewal

reliability my ass. my boss bought a jetta. tranny blew within the first year. thank god he had an extended warrenty. it was a diesel jetta too. german made tranny not the mexican one.