Turbocharger and its working

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
Turbocharger and its working

The Working Principles of a Turbocharger
In an internal combustion engine where there is a need to increase the power, a turbocharger comes in application. In order to accomplish this, the turbocharger increases the mass flow rate of air entering the engine by the turbine action driven by it’s exhaust. It is widely applied in aircrafts, automobiles and motorcycles.

Turbocharger design and function

The turbocharger is like a miniature gas turbine, it is a small radial fan driven by the forward motion of the engine exhaust. Comprising the turbocharger are the turbine and the compressor sharing a single shaft. When the exhaust gasses enter, the fan rotates which drives a compressor. Air is then squeezed by the compressor before being delivered to the engine air intake manifold. Because air is compressed, the engine could then take in greater amounts of air to the cylinders. Usually the engine takes in air through a vacuum created by the downward stroke of the cylinder. The normal air pressure is at 14.7 psi and there is a limit to the pressure difference across the intake valves resulting in a limited air mass flow rate. In order to increase the intake, pressure must then be increased. In this way additional oxygen to the engine makes it possible to burn more fuel which increases the power of the engine. Increase air pressure is possible with the turbocharger application.

turbo_schematic-1.gif

Turbochargers, although applies the same as superchargers except for small variations. Superchargers, particularly Centrifugal superchargers were spun by the rotation of the engine’s crankshaft. This made turbochargers more efficient in terms of recycling energy loss through the exhaust.

turboparts-1.gif

Although the turbocharger consists of a turbine and a compressor, several working components actually comprise it. The turbine and the impeller are contained in their own housing. The housings fitted around the compressor impeller and turbine directs the flow of gasses through the wheels. The motion of the gasses causes the impeller to spin. In this case the size of the impeller wheel dictates the amount of gas it could take. The single shaft connecting the turbine to the compressor is housed in the center hub rotating assembly (CHRA). The CHRA also contains bearing to minimized friction, lubrication and in some cases the turbocharger cooling system; water cooled models have entry and exit points for the engine coolants to cycle. Devices such as waste gates then control the spin of the turbine.
Front Mount Intercooler

0612_EC_11_ZBMW_M3_Turbointercooler-1.jpg

You probably have seen cars driving around with this sort of arrangement under the front grill.This is called a Front mount Intercooler to cool down the turbo of the petrol engine.

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
yeah
most of the people just know turbo but how they work they got no idea
they think diesel turbo and petrol turbo is the same..
there is a big difference
the turbo's on diesel is necessary to push them harder but turbocharging a petrol car to achieve performance is completly different thing.
hope the above post helps

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
meri gaDDI te lva do eh
of course you can if its a rear wheel drive car
if front wheel drive than its bit hard to control

you need tochange the crank shaft, pistons and spark plugs with premim ones

then you need a front / top mounted intercooler, a nice high flow turbo ( depeneding upon your car)
a blow off valve
turbo timer
Pod filter
Intake manifold ( separate)
Boost gauge
Trip meter

Grewal_unp

Son Of A Sardar
there are plenty of RHD(right hand drive) cars that are really gud for modification and they are real cheap. but i dont know the rules for importing them to india, most of the cars are 15 years old but after some modification's they are fun to drive. i currently drive a Nissan 350z Single Turbo making 500BHP, wanna get this car to india, but custom ppl gonna kil me!!

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
there are plenty of RHD(right hand drive) cars that are really gud for modification and they are real cheap. but i dont know the rules for importing them to india, most of the cars are 15 years old but after some modification's they are fun to drive. i currently drive a Nissan 350z Single Turbo making 500BHP, wanna get this car to india, but custom ppl gonna kil me!!
thats true
Nissan 350 Z Single turbo? na mate probably twin turbo cuz that car has a V6 engine (same as maxima) and if you turbo charge it you need 2 turbo chargers .. or do u mean its a supercharged?
India has too much customs on imports also you cant import a car thats 3 years old. and the duty is like 220%, I imported a Chaser from japan it was too easy but to india its pain in the A#se

Grewal_unp

Son Of A Sardar
Chaser!!!!! dat's wat i wanna bring to india, i had a JZX81 not chaser but Mark II 1jz twin turbo....love jz engines, and bro my z is single...

here it goes......

nissan
350z
6-speed manual

and here is the mod list

+Turbonetics 60-1 Ball Bearing Turbo
+Spearco Large W.A.V.E. Technology Core with Cast End Tanks
+Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate
+Turbonetics Raptor with Polished Discharge Horn Blow Off Valve
+Black Chrome Mendrel Bent Aluminum Intercooler Piping
+3.0" Polished Mandrel Bent Stainless SteelDownpipe
+OSgiken Double Plate Clutch
+DC sports Headers
+DC sports Exhaust
+RC 480cc fuel injectors
+Walbro 255lph in-tank fuel pump
+Defi Water Temp Gauge
+Defi Turbo Boost Gauge
+Defi Oil Temp Gauge
+Defi Gauge Link
+HKS turbo Timer
+Re-Flashed ECU from Technosquare.
+Rear wiper water sprayer used to cool intercooler

and here are some pics....

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
Thats a nice car indeed,
turbo setup on that car in single turbo form .is it any good?
when does turbo kicks in and how long it takes to rev to red line?
how much PSi is the turbo? I hope it doesn't blow up the valves.
Intercooler probably front mount is it?
I can see the big BLow off valve>? is it legal there if yes your lucky .. we have a stock one n chaser.
by the way my chaser is JZX100 not mark II , Mark II were pretty impressive too.

This is the car we imported

1997 Toyota Chaser
2.5 Litre turbo Petrol , Rear Wheel Drive
Having
-TRD Body kit ( TRD - Toyota Racing Development)
-Tein Coilover Suspensions
-Sparko 18 inch deep dish low profile wheels
-Slide / Lift sunroof
-TRD badges
-Professionaly Lowered
-Apexi Pod Filter
-HKS Turbo timer
-Jasma Muffler
-TRD Sports Exhuast pipe
-TRD Front Grill
-TRD Side mirrors( Electric)
-Inside Carbon Fibre lined Dashboard and Sides
-After market Tuned ECU
-After market Xenon lamps
-TRD Spoiler
-HKS boost gauge

Dyno reading done in japan was 203 Kws @6000 RPM i think

The car goes mad once you turn off the Traction control and put on Power mode. Does 0-100 in less than 4.8 seconds .

Good to see some hot rods.! keep doing the good work bro

Grewal_unp

Son Of A Sardar
Thats a nice car indeed,
turbo setup on that car in single turbo form .is it any good?
when does turbo kicks in and how long it takes to rev to red line?
how much PSi is the turbo? I hope it doesn't blow up the valves.
Intercooler probably front mount is it?
I can see the big BLow off valve>? is it legal there if yes your lucky .. we have a stock one n chaser.
by the way my chaser is JZX100 not mark II , Mark II were pretty impressive too.

Thanks bro...
Single Turbo is good as i do alot of daily driving as the turbo start at 3200rpm i drive it as a NA and when i need to get nasty i take it til 8000rpm....now i runing 9.5psi on stock internals :)....which valves are u talking abt....FMIC for sure.....its not legal even a air intake...but u know this world is currptd:y.....i get the things done....cars like skyline,mark II's,soarers can only be registered on a locals name i was the first indian to have a twin turbo Mark II but it was still on a locals name.

well now i am selling my z due to this recession and i m going for a jzx81 mark II or Chaser again these cars are reall cheap here and are easy to boost.
car costs around 1200USD
RHD to LHD conversion 1000USD
getting it register 1500USd

BTW nice Chaser..... love to drift these bitch's