Mazda MX-5 - 2010
(from Mazda Press Release) Evolution focused on pure Jinba Ittai Enjoyment
The facelift MX-5 embodies the purest form of Zoom-Zoom. With evolved sensory qualities, it continues to deliver the unchanging value of “Jinba-Ittai” (oneness between driver and car) despite the changing world. Marking its 20th anniversary next year, the new MX-5 offers a “lots of fun” driving experience underpinned by the untiring passion of Mazda’s engineers since 1989.
Updates at a Glance
Newly evolved look that’s functional and instantly recognizable, as Mazda, and as MX-5
• Exterior styling with greater dynamism & athleticism, which contributes to superior aerodynamics
• Strongly emphasized a premium identity in the look and feel of the Roadster Coupe
Enhanced engineering to enable the driver to enjoy the full potential of the engine performance
• 500 rpm higher rev limit and the raised engine speed at max power
• Introduced a forged crankshaft, fully floating pistons and newly designed valve springs
Sportier engine sound that responds more crisply to accelerator inputs
• Surge tank rigidity optimization, new forged crankshaft and ISE , Induction Sound Enhancer (for 6MT)
Smoother shifting feel with brisk and high-quality steering feel
• With 6MT, the meshing surfaces of the 1st–4th triple-cone synchronizers are now carbon coated, and the 3rd–4th synchronizer diameter has been increased.
• Linear & sporty 6AT that’s newly available for Europe incorporates two new control technologies, Direct Activematic (DAM) and Active Adaptive Shift (AAS).
• A lower front roll centre and retuned suspension make the car’s response to steering inputs more linear and enable the driver to precisely trace desired lines. The yaw and roll also feel more natural, producing a higher-quality ride
• Roadster Coupe cockpit road noise with the roof closed is 2.1dB lower than before. Improvements include urethane filling in the front suspension member and damping material in the front roof section.
• Quietness is further promoted in the Roadster Coupe and soft-top version by stiffer door modules and by newly added reinforcements on the No. 2 crossmember.
Environmental, safety and conformability
• More convenient features, ie., improved Bose®sound system, 5 step adjustable seat heater, etc.
• Average fuel consumption display and outside air temperature is equipped
• More models featuring DSC as standard equipment
All information in this press copy is based on the specifications of the freshened Mazda MX-5 at the time of writing. Mazda’s product development is ongoing, so certain details of the vehicle may change. For confirmation, please contact the nearest Mazda public relations representative.