Detroit 2011: 2012 BMW 1 Series, 1 Series M Coupe, and 650i

harmanjit_kaur

Waheguru Waheguru
Detroit 2011: 2012 BMW 1 Series, 1 Series M Coupe, and 650i Convertible

BMW brought a new 1 Series, 1 Series M Coupe, and the revised 650i convertible to the 2011 North American International Auto Show. Here are our thoughts after seeing these new BMWs in the flesh at the show:

2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe

A 1988 E30 M3 this is not. The 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe is a hardcore 1 Series set to do battles on track days. Its look is aggressive, but like the E30 is only has subtle visual changes compared to lesser 1s. Subtle is not the word we would use to describe the Valencia Orange Metallic hue BMW has chosen for the show. Can we get some classic Alpine White or Black Sapphire Metallic, please? We’ve driven the 1 M, and are glad that BMW spent more time putting the old M3’s sprit into the driving dynamics and not into the looks. Highly recommend parking this one in your driveway as soon as your bank account allows.

2012 BMW 1 Series

The 1 Series has never won any beauty contests. For the 2012 model year, BMW has sent the 1 Series for a little Botox here and there. Just as with any middle-aged cougar you can’t quite tell what she’s had done, but you know that somehow she looks very refreshed. The coupe and convertible that comprise BMW’s smallest models receive revised headlamps with the corporate LED eyebrow, wear updated LED taillights, and utilize BMW’s new Air Curtain aerodynamics improvements. Even if this is lipstick on a pig, this little piggy can still bring a smile to anyone behind the wheel.

2012 BMW 6 Series

One word best describes the 2012 BMW 650i Convertible: gorgeous. The new BMW 650i is visually longer and svelter than its predecessor. Moving away from Chris Bangle’s Flame Surfacing has done wonders for the aesthetic beauty of BMW’s grand touring convertible. The character lines lend to a taught and muscular stance, from the signature kidney grilles and angel eye headlights to the stacked L-shaped LED taillights. BMW has kept the flying buttress supports on the power cloth top, which drops in under 20 seconds.