Zotac launches new line of nettops with CULV chips

chief

Prime VIP
zotaczbox-1.jpg

Nettops are tiny desktops with low power processors. Most of the nettops we’ve seen over the past few years have essentially stuffed netbook parts into Nintendo Wii-sized boxes, albeit often with higher performance graphics chips than you’d find in most 10 inch netbooks. Still, while nettops are cute and all, battery life isn’t exactly an issue in desktops, and I’ve often wondered why people would choose a tiny desktop with an Intel Atom chip instead of something a bit more powerful.

The main reason is probably because there haven’t been a lot of other options unless you want to spend much more money. Nettops typically run between $200 and $500, while a Mac Mini or small form factor Windows desktop with beefier specs will usually run you a bit more.

Now Zotac has introduced a new line of nettops featuring Intel CULV processors. These are still low power chips, but in my experience, a good ULV processor is at least twice as powerful as single core Atom chip for most tasks.

The new line of Zotact nettops come with either dual 1.2GHz Intel Celeron SU2300 or single core 1.3GHz Intel Celeron 743 processors. Neither are exactly powerhouses, but each offers decent performance.

What’s more, the new Zotac ZBOX and ION-ITX nettops are some of the first machines I’ve seen that bundle these Intel ULV processors with NVIDIA ION graphics — something I’d love to see someone do with a laptop. The nettops features support for DirectX 10 graphics, HD video playback, and include HDMI, DVI, and VGA outputs.

True to Zotac form, the new ZBox HD-ND22, ZBOX HD-NS21, ION-ITX N Series, and ION-ITX P series nettops all ship without hard drives, memory, or operating systems.