Windows not detecting USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roop Dhillon

Prime VIP
Hi all,

I am encountering a very unique problem for last two weeks. I had virus in my PC and i formatted Drive C: and Drive D: and while installing XP i forgot to make a partition. Everything is running well but when i try to connect USB, Phone Suite Or I-Pod, my computer doesn`t detect any external hardware. I have tried everything but all in vain. It has got to a frustating point where i feel like formating my computer all over again.

If someone can please help me save time and energy and give me a solution, i shall be grateful to you ever as i have got a lot of different programs running on my computer and data stored which i dont wanna loose.

And is it possible to make a back up of files,data & programs and then re-install everything later once re-format is done.

Please Help.

Thanks & Regards,

Rupi

pps309

Prime VIP
Re: Unique Problem - Help Please

Although a stupid suggestion but works sometime.

Try restarting your PC once more, Windows XP has drivers that automatically detects the new hardware.
If it still don't owrk, this means you have lost the drivers, you may have to download from the net.

Roop Dhillon

Prime VIP

Although a stupid suggestion but works sometime.

Try restarting your PC once more, Windows XP has drivers that automatically detects the new hardware.
If it still don't owrk, this means you have lost the drivers, you may have to download from the net.
Thanks PPS.

I have tried that 100 times but it wouldn`t work.

What drivers am i looking for? Drivers for Motherboard, Please Explain a bit.

Thanks Heaps.

Roop Dhillon

Prime VIP

it seems that xp did not install the usb hub drivers. To solve this you could download windows xp service pack 3 from microsoft which will include all drivers which have been updated and are newer versions. hopefully that solves the problem. here is the link for downloading the service pack Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Thanks Mate, But i already have got Service pack 3 Installed......Should i just Un-install it?

msakulu

Dugu

Thanks Mate, But i already have got Service pack 3 Installed......Should i just Un-install it?
You could try uninstalling it then installing it again maybe it may detect the drivers. Just try that otherwise if it doesnt work you will need to download usb drivers for the pc. I can help find the drivers I just need to know the make and type of pc you are using. :)

Roop Dhillon

Prime VIP

You could try uninstalling it then installing it again maybe it may detect the drivers. Just try that otherwise if it doesnt work you will need to download usb drivers for the pc. I can help find the drivers I just need to know the make and type of pc you are using. :)

I`ll try that once i get home today. And if it doesn`t help, I would tell you the specifications of my PC and i would really appreciate all your help mate.

Thanks Again.

SinghKing

Plugin the device, go to device manager and scan for hardware changes and leave it for a few minutes. see if it pick's up the device.

Try all the USB ports and check the BIOS to see if you changed changed any USB settings.

Go to device manager check the USB Controllers and that there all there.

Roop Dhillon

Prime VIP
Plugin the device, go to device manager and scan for hardware changes and leave it for a few minutes. see if it pick's up the device.

Try all the USB ports and check the BIOS to see if you changed changed any USB settings.

Go to device manager check the USB Controllers and that there all there.

I have tried all that already, it still would not work for me. :(

xavee

go to device manager and uninstall all usb port drivers and scan for hardware change then ur pc found usb ports and pc searching for drivers when pc says ur ur harware ready to use try usb device .

Roop Dhillon

Prime VIP

This is my PC Config.

If you can please help locate USB Hub Drivers.

Cheers

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
You can try this solution & restart you PC, worth a shot ;)
Disable the Selective Suspend feature of the USB hub driver. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB
  3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.
  4. Type DisableSelectiveSuspend, and then press ENTER.
  5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
  6. Type 1, and then click OK.
Note If the DisableSelectiveSuspend registry entry is not present, you must create it. This setting affects all USB host controller drivers in the system.

Roop Dhillon

Prime VIP
Just Un-installing Service Pack 3 helped the cause, My PC is detecting all USB external devices now.

But i appreciate all your effort guys.

Thanks Heaps.

SinghKing

Use CPU-Z to find out the current memory u've got and if u got any free slots left.
It prob DDR memory, just get the same one and stick that inside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.