Windows 7 RC's Shutdown Cycle Nearly Here

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP
Free use of the Windows 7 Release Candidate's days are numbered.
Beginning Sunday, people who downloaded and installed the free test version of Microsoft Windows 7, known as the release candidate, were scheduled to start receiving messages warning of shutdowns. The bi-hourly shutdowns will start on March 1, and the release candidate will expire completely on June 1, 2010.

01468i24468800-1.jpg

01468i24469000-1.jpg

01468i24468900-1.jpg

01468i23731600-1.jpg

A Microsoft support page spells out what will happen:
"Effective February 15, 2010, the expiration notification process begins:

• Windows 7 RC users receive an expiration notification in the task bar one time per day.
  • Windows 7 RC users are presented with the Notification Wizard one time every four hours and then one time every hour."
Anyone who's experienced the shutdown notices for previous Windows versions can attest that they're a nuisance to say the least. And it gets worse:
"Effective March 1, 2010, Windows 7 RC enters the next phase of expiration:

• Expiration notifications in the task bar continue.
  • Computers that are running Windows 7 RC restart every two hours.
    Important When the computer restarts, your work will not be saved."
"Finally, at expiration:

• Windows starts to a black desktop.
  • Windows 7 RC users are presented with a Windows Activation screen. The screen states that the Windows that you are running is not genuine.
  • Computers that are running Windows 7 RC restart every two hours."
Windows 7 was launched on Oct. 22. Moving from the RC to a released version of Windows 7 will require a "clean" install, meaning that any applications installed will no longer be available after the upgrade. The "update" installation option is not available for this update.
Freeloaders can extend their ride by taking advantage of a 90-day trial of the Enterprise Edition of the OS, intended for IT pros, but that will also require a clean installation to upgrade to a licensed copy. Students can take advantage of a reduced-priced copy of the retail software version by heading to www.win741.com