Top 10 PC troubleshooting tips

cjsoundz

Bhangra Head!!
1) Rebooting
If something has gone wrong, locked up or just plain acting strange then returning it to its last known working state is a good option. Rebooting will often do this as generally the application will have been working when you started your computer.

Not only this, but your application may not be at fault - something else may be causing the problem that you are unaware of, a reboot may well sort out something else that has changed without your knowledge.

2) Re-installing Software and/or Drivers
If you have a software problem - a program that is not working - a good option is to unistall and re-install that program. You can use the "Add/ Remove Programs" option in Windows Control Panel for this, simply select the program from the list and choose "uninstall", then re-install the program from its origional source - the CD, DVD or download, wherever it came from. Remember to backup all your associated files first.

Devices (hardware) often fail because of a conflict between what (or how) you are telling it to do something and what it understands. The device driver is responsible for this. If you have updated windows (or other operating system) recently, or if you haven't used a device in a long time, or perhaps you have a new device this is a good tip to try.

This example is for Windows XP - From the windows "Control Panel" click on the "System" icon and then the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. You will see a list of all your devices. Locate the device that isn't working, right click and select "Update Driver...". This will lead you through the process of updating the driver.

If this fails, try [right click] (on the device name) "Properties" then "Driver" tab and the "Uninstall" button. This will totally uninstall the current driver, you can now use the disk (if you have one) or the internet to locate and install a brand new driver.

3) Conflicts at Startup
Software sometimes installs stuff that you are unaware of, this can sometimes be installed so that it starts every time you load windows. If you are not careful you can end up with loads of "stuff" running in the background that inadvertently causes problems with your main applications.

I like to use Piriform's CCleaner download and install this. Use the "Tools" -> "Startup" option that will show you all the programs that load at startup. Look for anything that is unnecessary or things that you are sure that you don't use. When you find something that you don't select it and then click "Disable" on the right.

When you have removed all the unnecessary programs reboot your PC.

This way you should be able to remove loads of unwanted "stuff" and you might be able to remove a conflict. Just a little warning: you should be careful about stuff that you are unsure of, if in doubt leave it alone, or try removing just one item at a time and reboot your computer - if something isn't working use the Inspector to turn it back on again. Having said this try to be as brutal as you dare, many things running just slows down your PC, at anyone time I have about 2/3rds of these programs switched off!

4) Viruses Do Weird Things
If you have picked up a virus of just about any type they do weird things they are often unpredictable, they can eat up your precious resources either by design or simply because they have been badly written.

If your computer is running slow with unexpected lock-ups or crashes make sure that you run a full virus and spyware scan. There are many free virus software, AVG Free is my current favourite.

5) Test Your RAM
A fairly rare but not uncommon problem is memory issues, sometimes part of your RAM may develop an error. This in turn can cause all sorts of problems as your applications may lose data or access unavailable bits of memory – havoc can follow - so check out your memory. A free utility for this is available here: Memtest86 3.2 – be warned though you need to create a bootable floppy disk! I hope you still have one laying around!

Here is an alternative from Microsoft Memory Diagnostic 1 – again requires a floppy disk.

If this doesn’t work or you can’t locate a floppy disk, you may have to open up your PC and take out one (or more) of the RAM sticks. With older PC’s your RAM needs to be located in pairs so you need to remove the sticks in pairs. Then reboot to test; obviously your PC will run slower with less RAM but you may prevent crashes in which case you’ve found the root of your problem. If you are unsure, or have doubts about this find a friendly store that can help you, if you locate an error then they can help sell you the correct replacement.

Also note that if you buy new RAM it is very important to buy the right type for your PC, if you install the wrong type you may not notice any difference, but it may cause problems. If you are just looking to speed up your PC buy more RAM; but make sure that you buy the right type and buy as much as you can, generally modern Windows PC's run well with 1Gb but 2Gb is better.

6) Test Your Registry
The Registry is a restricted area used by windows to hold all sorts of information about the running of your PC including information about all of the hardware and software installed on your computer, configurations and preferences. Errors here can cause a world of problems and it’s good to use utilities to keep your registry running smoothly as well as investigating when you discover problems.

You can use Piriform's CCleaner for this also. Select "Registry" on the left, then "Scan fro Issues" at the bottom. This process will find a wide range of defects, including references to already uninstalled programs, missing help files, broken shortcuts, virtual devices, start-up programs, fonts, and configuration files.

If you prefer you may be able to find a free version, searching Download.com is a good place to start.

7) Check your Power Supply and Overheating
I remember a long time ago I was having trouble with an old PC, it was running extremely slowly – after trying everything I could think of, I was at a loose end. Finally I remembered to check for heat – as it happens my PC was hanging over the back of my desk right over a radiator. In this case the processor (the central core of the PC) had a safety feature that allowed it to slow down when it got very hot. Simply rearranging my desk (and resetting the processor speed) solved the problem!

Check for this sort of problem, look for additional heat sources and also check the cooling in your PC – make sure that the fans aren’t blocked and make sure that they are free from dust and running freely. It is a good idea to occasionally do this anyway. Make sure that everything is disconnected and earthed - touch a metal part of the case to discharge any static before touching any internal devices then use a soft brush to clean any fans. Blowing and cotton buds also help.

Also check your power supply (the brick half way along your power cord from the wall to the PC) swap it out for a different one of the same make if possible to help eliminate problems.

If you discover and fix a problem your (now cooler) processor may reset itself to its normal speed, but it may not, in which case you will have to do this yourself. You will have to enter the BIOS (Basic Input / Output System) – this is the built in control software that you see on the computer screen before Windows loads (BIOS contains all the code required to control the keyboard, display screen, disk drives, serial communications, and a number of other functions). Please refer to your computers handbook for instructions or get an expert to help.

8) Other Hardware Issues
You may have other hardware that has developed a problem; again this will involve opening your PC. You are looking for items located in the PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) slots. PCI slots allow numerous different types of expansion cards to be connected inside a computer to extend the computers functionality. Examples of PCI expansion cards are network cards, graphics cards and sound cards.

If you are confident to identify these you can remove them one at a time, and reboot your PC to test if the problems you are experiencing have been resolved. Again to be safe you may like to get an expert to help, otherwise search Google for information about removing PCI slot components. And remember once you remove a component this will have an effect on your PC, for example if you remove a graphics card your display may well look different, keep this in mind.

9) Update Your BIOS
I briefly mentioned the BIOS earlier, sometimes this may need updating – this is very rare, you are more likely to have to do this if you upgrade hardware or perhaps if you move to a new version of Windows. This is a technical as possibly dangerous (for your PC) operation, if you are going to attempt this yourself search Google for “BIOS update [Manufactures Name]” where [Manufactures Name] is replaced with the name of the manufacturer of your PC - for example “BIOS update DELL”.

Make sure that you have everything ready before you start and follow the instructions carefully - make sure that you are following the correct set of instructions for your specific make and model of PC!

10) Finally if all else fails… Reinstall Windows.
Re-installing Windows is often a major pain in the backside, but sometimes it is inevitable and sometimes it is your last chance of getting your PC back up and running.

Try and make sure that you back up as much of your data as possible either on CD, DVD or other external device.

Good luck, hopefully you reached a solution before item 10…