The Best iPhone 4 Speakers

DJMAC

$~____~$™
Finally. You've got your new iPhone 4. The first thing you'll want to pick up is a case to protect your new baby. And since one of the best inherent features of the iPhone is its ability to double as an excellent iPod, you should take a look at a new speaker dock so you can play your iPhone music out loud.
Below we've highlighted five different docks to suit a variety of users. All of the products below are "Works with iPhone" certified and have been tested with iPhone 4, so you can park your phone to play your tunes without having to put the handset into Airplane mode.
For the Minimalist
If you're a wire hater, check out the Creative ZiiSound D5—a Bluetooth-based iPhone/iPod dock that offers quality wireless streaming (that exceeds expectations for Bluetooth) and lets you walk around with your iPhone while a connected dongle sends your music to the speaker. The only cable is for power.
For the Frequent Traveler
Altec Lansing's new Octiv mini is an ideal travel companion. It's a mono speaker system that will slip easily into your bag given its diminutive design. Altec Lansing doesn't bill it as a portable device, but with its free Alarm Rock iPhone app, it makes a perfect alternative to hotel alarm clocks and wake-up calls. You can set an infinite number of alarms and wake to whatever song you wish. And at just $60, you won't care that it's a mono speaker system.
For the Budget Buyer
Okay, so maybe you can spend a bit more than $60, but don't want to break the bank. If you want true stereo—not a mono speaker—check out the simple $150 iLuv iMM173. You won't get audiophile-quality sound, but for a music lover on a budget, it should do the trick. Bonus: it can charge two iPhones at once and set alarms using both.
For the Discerning Audiophile
If sound quality is paramount, check out B&W's Zeppelin Mini. At $400, it's not cheap, but its beautiful design and excellent audio performance make it worth the price. It handles low-end frequencies gracefully without being overpowering or distorting, and the highs are crisp and articulate. The remote control isn't the best we've seen, but with this great-sounding eye-catcher, you won't care.
For the Life of the Party
With multiple inputs so you can connect more than one music source, the $295 Altec Lansing Mix iMT800 is the perfect party speaker system. Plus, plenty of power means you can blast your tunes without any distortion. At reasonable listening levels, the iMT800 also shines—so much so that it earned our Editors' Choice.
iPhone Speaker Docks Featured in this Roundup:
01468i24676000-1.jpg
Altec Lansing Mix iMT800
pcm_4_dot-1.gif
0i22513300-1.gif

$299.99
With multiple inputs, the Altec Lansing Mix iMT800 iPod dock lets you play DJ by connecting up to three MP3 players. It also delivers powerful, user-adjustable audio without distortion—even at high volumes, which is more than enough to make up for its disappointing remote control.
01468i26628600-1.jpg
Altec Lansing Octiv mini
pcm_3_5_dot-1.gif

$59.99 direct
With the Altec Lansing Octiv mini, a modest price gets you a modest speaker for your iPhone or iPod touch, with a useful app that turns it into an alarm clock.
01468i25216400-1.jpg
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Mini
pcm_3_5_dot-1.gif

$399.95
For a $400 iPod speaker dock, the Zeppelin Mini lacks some features that an expensive unit should have—but it looks and sounds amazing.
01468i26702200-1.jpg
Creative ZiiSound D5
pcm_3_dot-1.gif

$299.99
At $300, the ZiiSound D5 seems slightly overpriced, but what you lack in hi-fi audio performance you gain in wireless capabilities.
01468i23198700-1.jpg
iLuv iMM173
pcm_3_5_dot-1.gif

$149.99
The iLuv iMM173 dock for two may not sound amazing, but it's perfect for couples who want to wake up to their own iPods or iPhones—and charge both overnight.