Sony opens up PlayStation Move with move.me tool

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP
moveme580x358-1.jpg

Although Microsoft would point to the games, the hardware, and the marketing as what made Kinectthe success it is, I would point to the hacker community who embraced it and made it cool as having a major influence on sales too.
Off the back of that Microsoft has already announced it is going to officially support experimentation with Kinect through an SDK release. Now Sony is set to do the same for PlayStation Move.
A new page has appeared on the PlayStation.com website introducing a forthcoming software tool called move.me. Sony is describing it as a software server application allowing for the development of innovative applications by anyone. Sony list academic researchers, university instructors, college students, programming hobbyists, and HCI developers as potential users of move.me. Sony also list the following as expected areas of development:

• Games and tools that support kids’ physical fitness and nutrition
  • Kid-friendly programming interfaces for computer/technology classes or individual learning
  • Physical therapy and rehabilitation
  • Sports physiology or fitness training
  • Music and the creative arts
There’s no specific date for the release of the toolset, but Spring 2011 is listed as the release window. If you want to experiment with it once released, it will require a PlayStation Network account in order to download to your PS3. So this looks to be a toolset that works on a PS3 rather than on a PC and transferring over, or it just requires the PSN account to pair with your Move for testing.
For now you can sign up to be informed of when the product launches. There’s also a separate sign-up for showing interest in actually downloading the toolset, although you have to specify if you are affiliated with a school, university, or workplace.