Panasonic launches Toughbook 31, the ultimate rugged noteboo

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP
Panasonic has refreshed its rugged clamshell notebook series at a media event onboard the USS Intrepid in New York City, adding a new 13.1-inch touchscreen design to the mix. The Toughbook 31 represents the sixth generation design that pairs the latest and greatest Intel processors and ATI graphics with a remarkable display and longer-lasting battery, all secured inside a durable, spill-resistant magnesium alloy case. Such a reliable tool lets pros run serious productivity software in harsh conditions and extreme environments. We’re talking the serious stuff like war zones, first response teams, and other mission-critical scenarios where equipment failure is not an option. And even though the Toughbook 31 files as a tough and reliable field tool, it doesn’t fall behind performance-wise. Powered by an Intel Core i3 or i5 processor and the ATI Radeon HD 5650 discrete graphics on the flagship model, the Toughbook 31 delivers desktop-class performance in a fully-rugged notebook that has enough oomph for the most demanding apps like 3D graphics, GIS and CAD software, and other graphic-rich apps.
And thanks to a new hybrid cooling system, the notebook keeps the internal temperature down while still maintaining optimal protection from liquids, dust, and other environmental hazards. The new long-lasting battery provides enough juice for eleven hours on high-end models (seven hours on the entry-level Intel Core i3 model). In addition, the battery fully charges up to 47 percent faster than on the Toughbook 30.
The notebook’s 13.1-inch touchscreen is LED-backlit and enhanced with Panasonic CircuLumin technology that provides full-circle viewability “from the brightest sunlight to pitch darkness.” Panasonic described it as the brightest standard screen available that tops out at 1,100 nits. In addition, you can decrease brightness to just two nits or hit a dedicated hardware button to activate “concealed mode” that mutes sound and turns off or dims screen and all LED lights – a nice feature for marines and special-ops.

The Toughbook 31 is offered in three basic configurations that can be customized with a range of options. All models include 2GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM that can be maxed out to 8GB, both the Bluetooth and 802.11n WiFi module, and come with Windows 7 preinstalled. Interestingly, XP downgrade is also available for those who run legacy apps.
The entry-level configuration includes a 2.26GHz Intel Core i3 CPU, 160GB HDD, and Intel’s HM55 graphics. Mid-end model is upgraded with a 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 CPU with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz and Intel’s QM57 graphics, while the flagship unit comes with a 2.53GHz Intel Core i5 CPU with Turbo Boost up to 3.07GHz, 250GB HDD, and both the discreet ATI Radeon HD5650 and integrated Intel QM57 graphics.