Opera Mini for iPhone and iPod touch approved!

chief

Prime VIP
Opera Mini for iPhone and iPod touch approved!

Opera Mini for the iPhone and iPod touch has been approved by Apple, and will be available on the AppStore within 24 hours, depending on the market.

When Opera submitted their browser to Apple for approval on March 23, many users where doubtful that they would ever see another browser allowed on the AppStore. However, the light seems to shine on Opera today, as Opera has officially announced Opera Mini has been approved.

The lightweight browser will allow for better multi-tasking over Safari, including better data and tab handling. However, the browser won’t support pinch to zoom functionality just yet, according to the New York Times, but will be supported later in the year.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTCS3g-cBY&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Opera Mini 5 on the iPhone

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
I have just installed it on my ibrick, working great. So much better than the default safari.

I've just installed it on my ipod touch and its working f9.
Much much better than safari.
Opera mini crashes freqently on phones.
Just post here if it is getting itself crashed on ur iphone/touch?

Nice thread...

chief

Prime VIP
Opera Mini for iPhone popularity continues to grow

Opera Mini for iPhone popularity continues to grow, 2.6 million iPhone owners downloaded it in 2 weeks

Today Opera published their monthly State of the Mobile Web report and it turns out that the release of the Opera Mini in the App Store has made a huge impact on its usage. Apple might have come a little late to the party but their users are certainly enjoying the company.

More than 2.6 million people downloaded Opera Mini in April, even though it was only approved in the middle of the month.

That led to a 6.6% increase of the Opera user base, which now stands at 58.9 million. Those people saw more than 26.3 billion web pages and generated over 398 million MB of data. Had it not been for the Opera Mini compression the traffic would be nearly 10 times higher – over 3.7 petabytes.

The 2.6 million unique users have made the iPhone the third most popular device in the Opera Mini community and have helped the USA reach the number six spot in the Opera worldwide popularity ranking.

It’s quite safe to predict that after the amazingly successful first couple of weeks the iPhone will top the Opera usage charts in a few months (or maybe even as soon as this May).

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
For whatever reason apple classify Opera Mini as an adult appz. There is a pop up every time you install/update opera mini.

chief

Prime VIP
One of the main reasons for this type of rating is to add the ability to lock down the browser via parental controls. Safari is able to be disabled via parental controls however a 3rd party app like this is not.

:um