Motorola CEO confirms Droid follow-up, hints at tablet plans

chief

Prime VIP

Motorola has a follow-up to the Droid in the works, and may be looking to the burgeoning tablet market as a good place to expand on their recent mobile efforts. During a recent investor conference, Motorola’s co-CEO, Sanjay Jha, dropped a few strong hints when referring to a TV “companion product” that would feature a 7 to 10 inch screen.

Jha also mentioned that Android would be a good fit for this potential product. This shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise when looking at Motorola’s recent successes with Google’s mobile OS. While talking about their commitment to Android, Jha dismissed the idea that Motorola has plans to create their own OS saying, "Nearly all of my focus is on Android today."

Sticking to the topic of Android, Jha also said that vendors need to differentiate their products in order to succeed. He cites their own MotoBLUR as an example of this, but an Adroid tablet would certainly be a differentiated product. In relation to their Droid follow-up, Jha said, "I think we're very well positioned [at Verizon]. We will introduce new Droid products in the Verizon franchise. I know the devices we are going to introduce, and that gives me comfort.”

The Wall Street Journal says to expect two big smartphone launches from Motorola in July.