Mobile users in Kashmir can't access Facebook, Twitter

Android

Prime VIP
Staff member
Though authorities have refused to "ban" some popular websites, thousands of mobile users here Wednesday were unable to access social media websites like Facebook and Twitter as well as video-sharing website YouTube.

After Google India blocked an anti-Islam video on YouTube, mobile phone users here have been complaining that they are unable to access GPRS, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter on their devices. "I have not been able to avail the GPRS services for the last one week. Now, I cannot open my Facebook or Twitter account on my mobile," said Waseem Bashir, 24, a student.

Twitter is one of the websites blocked in Kashmir

Even those using broadband services through secured connections are complaining that they cannot access YouTube in the Kashmir Valley. "Instead of banning only the anti-Islam video on YouTube, it appears the entire website has been blocked here," said Nazir Ahmad, 21, a shopkeeper.

Various service providers here have also downgraded their 3G service to 2G without any warning, thus depriving users from viewing email attachments and other heavy files on their devices.

However, Minister for Science and Technology Aga Syed Ruhullah and various service providers in the valley said there was no such ban in Kashmir. "Those who deny the ban on these services should kindly access them on my mobile phone," said Bilal Ahmad, 34, a local musician.