Latest Windows patch may cause black screen

chief

Prime VIP
Latest Windows patch may cause black screen for some users

Windows20Update20Icon-1.png

The latest Microsoft Windows patches in November have been known to cause some black screens on users screens according to ComputerWorld, without a remedy to fix the problem. The problems are affecting users of security software such as Prevx. Microsoft apparently made some changes to its Access Control List (ACL) which caused the problems for many users.

Prevx was able to release a quick fix for the black screens, but says it may not fix all of the black screen issues, but said it will make Microsoft aware of the error and send them their quick fix to help sort the problem. Prevx, first to release such a patch to fix the issues, said the problem is inside the Windows patches, where they modify the registry keys. Security software and other related security applications appear to be experiencing the same black screen issue according to ComputerWorld.

Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 appear to be some of the affected operating systems. Prevx posted the remedy fix on their website for free, using a simple command to fix the error.

When users reboot their systems and are prompted with a black screen, use the Run Command through the Task Manager and enter:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?GRAB=BLACKSCREENFIX

The user will be prompted to run the script to fix the error, but only if users experience a black screen when booting Windows.

I've just recently started experiencing the black screen when starting up from sleep mode. Not installed any new software the last couple of days, while patches are installed automatically.

For the record, never heard about Prevx before; running Microsoft Security Essentials. Somewhat hope this is due to a Windows patch, and not my hardware in any way. Event viewer doesn't show anything significant ...
+1 everything went black and menus were unclickable. I rebooted using the run command "shutdown -r -t 0" and now its normal. Strange thing is that I don't even have any security apps installed, it just happened after coming back from sleep and this is only the very first time. Weird...