Intel makes Sandy Bridge official: new Core series CPUs brin

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

It didn’t take a wizard to see Sandy Bridge coming, given how wide Intel’s leak about the upcoming CPUs was, it’s now all nice and official.
Intel has just pulled the cover off of the newest batch of Core i3, i5 and i7 processors, which amounts to twenty new products including chipsets and adapters. The most notable improvement of Sandy Bridge over the last generation is when it comes to graphics: Intel expects the new integrated graphics to double the performance of their admittedly pretty limp last gen. That’s actually not that great, considering how abysmal Intel’s integrated graphics offerings have historically been, but it’s better than nothing, and by integrating the graphics and processor on the same die, there should be some nifty power savings to boot.
Another performance boost in the new processors is in video transcoding, which gets a major boost of up to 17x thanks to Intel’s Quick Sync Video feature. Intel’s Wi-Di (or wireless display) technology has also gotten a performance boost, in that it will now transmit 1080p HD video from your PC to your television. Why would you want to do that? Because Intel’s also launching the Intel Insider, a new online streaming video system that will allow you to stream movies by CinemaNow, Warner Bros. and others to your display on or before the DVD release date.
It looks like a sizable spec bump. I can’t wait to see some of the laptops running Sandy Bridge