How to fix problem when Windows Security Center re

swati16

How to fix problem when Windows Security Center
reports multiple antivirus programs installed

When I was writing my reviews on how to uninstall McAFee and Norton antivirus software, I noticed a problem with my laptop. After I had completely uninstalled both programs Windows Security Center and Belarc Advisor reported that I still Norton, McAFee, and my original antivirus AVG installed on the computer.

I proceeded to double-check the programs running in the background, programs running as a windows service, etc. and could not find any trace of these antivirus programs on the computer, but Windows Security Center reported they were still all installed.

It seems this issue appears if the WFI repository folder is not thoroughly deleted during the uninstall process of these programs. Follow the instructions below to delete this folder's contents and restore order to your system again.

Step by Step Procedure for Fixing Problem

1) Right-click on My Computer
2) Click on Manage
3) Click on the plus sign(+) next to Services and Applications in the left-hand column
4) Click on Services
5) Find the service called Windows Management Instrumentation, right-click on it, and choose Stop.
6) Open My Computer
7) Double-click on Drive C (or whatever drive Windows is installed on)
8) Double-click on the Windows folder
9) Double-click on System32
10) Double-click on WBEM
11) Right-click on the Repository folder and click Delete and remove it
12) Close the My Computer windows and return to the Windows services screen using steps 1 - 4 shown above
13) Find the service called Windows Management Instrumentation, right-click on it, and choose Start. Restarting this service will rebuild the repository folder information.
14) Restart your computer

Once the computer has restarted, open Windows Security Center or run Belarc Advisor. Only your currently installed antivirus and firewall programs should be listed