Google's About Me Page to Make Reviewing Personal Information Easier

Goku

Prime VIP
Staff member
google_about_me_ndtvjpgoutputquality80ou-1.jpg

Google is making it easier for users to update their personal information across services. The company has set up an 'About me' dashboard that lets users see, edit, and remove personal information that is viewable on Google services such as Google+ and Google Drive. The feature has started to rollout to users worldwide.

Users always had the option to edit their personal information via Google+. While one could still visit company's social network for that, it is no longer a requirement. "Changes you make here may show up with content you create & share," the description of 'About me' page reads. "People you interact with may also see your updates across Google services."

Many of Google's products and services ask users to share their personal information. These details are made available to users who interact with you, and depending on how you've shared that information enables others to easily find you. But a problem with it is that many users just don't know where they needed to go to edit such details.

We tested the feature and found that it allows one to edit a range of things including your last name, details of your occupation etc. But at the same time, it doesn't let you do a few things such as edit your date of birth - which suggests that the company doesn't want this feature to be abused.

All in all, it's welcoming to see Google remove one's reliance on Google+ to make such basic changes. Also, the launch of 'About me' page comes months after Google made it easier for users to review their security settings by placing them on a single page.