Goodbye Symbian, it's time to let you go for good

Android

Prime VIP
Staff member
Finally! The news that Nokia has decided to cut the apron strings from its beloved Symbian OS just was a long time coming. It seemed like Nokia was simply flogging a dead horse, expecting it to go faster. It had its run, it survived this long and that’s something in itself. The time to let go was, well, a long time ago.

It is great news to hear that Nokia is finally putting the Symbian OS to rest. This was simply some baggage that needed to be shrugged off in a hurry. For any Nokia fan it’s great to see it picking itself up, dusting itself off and donning a new avatar with Windows Phone, all in a bid to re-establish itself as a major player in the market. What I find truly heartening is that it's taking the best of the old ideas, updating them and incorporating them into its new products. This is what it should have done a long time ago, but as the cliché goes, better late than never. Anyway, no one was really looking forward to the next Nokia Symbian handset, but I know, I’m looking forward to the next Nokia Windows Phone.

Symbian was just not the OS it used to be. Belle or Anna might have brought some measure of innovation to the ailing operating system, but it was never enough to tear the crowds away from the Android and iOS. With dwindling market share, it was dying a slow and dreary death.

Nokia’s focus should now be a little more streamlined in terms of what it wants to achieve from the mobile OS market. If it's going to stick to Windows Phone as a primary OS, then it should push the developer community to start taking more interest. That being said, Nokia's efforts have been valiant and it’s time now to see a whole new Nokia.

The time has come to say goodbye

Symbian served us well. It was my first love with the mobile phone, the jazzy colours, cool icons, smart functions—it was what ushered in the age of smartphones. Nokia has always had plenty to offer, but for some reason, there seemed to have been some hiatus in Nokia’s think tank and as a consequence, Symbian’s evolution remained relatively stagnant with only a few minor tweaks incorporated over the last couple of years. The mobile OS got smarter and Nokia, for some reason, chose to stay in the past.

While it got our attention by adding a few relevant technologies to the great hardware and trying desperately to push the OS as far as it would go, the hook was never the OS. Devices like the E7 Communicator or the Nokia N8 and PureView 808 were great innovations, but only in distinct and specific features like design, hardware and, of course, their cameras. However, the complete package was just not good enough. We’ll never forget the handsets and will probably still compare them to some of the new devices whenever they try and up the specs, but all we’ll really be talking about is the camera and design again. But any such comparison or discussion gets derailed the moment we start talking of the operating system.

So, we finally bid adieu to the OS that got the ball rolling. Symbian, you showed others the way and will always be rembered as the pioneer, as far as I’m concerned, but it’s time we let go and move on. We salute you as we say goodbye.

Android

Prime VIP
Staff member
:lol2 Pehla main Wave II lea Bada OS ala oh vi hun band hon wali a :lol2

fer main Nokia 701 leya symbian ala oh vi band hogi :lol2 :an :hahaha

Reactions: JJ