Gateway’s new ID series laptops have Core i3/i5 CPUs and Opt

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

Gateway — a company as well known for their affordable machines as they are for their bovine-printed logo — has just revealed their latest notebook line, the Gateway ID series, which matches the competition with Intel Core i3 and i5 processors as well as NVIDIA Optimus technology on select models that allows you to switch between discrete and integrated GPUs according to performance load for maximum mobile battery life.
Both computers in the ID series are pretty similar. The Gateway ID49 is a 14-inch affair boasting a 720p capable 1366 x 768 display, while the ID59 is a 15.6-inch display, which is also locked at a disappointing 1366×768. Both come with an aluminum alloy lid and an aqua-blue glowing multitouch trackpad that resembles glass when not lit.
Connectivity is the standard 802.11 b/g/n WiFi as well as HDMI and USB 2.0 ports. Both laptops also come with up to 500GB of storage and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. You also get programmable keys, a 1.3MP webcam with dual microphones and a multicard slot.
About the only way the two laptops differentiate from each other in ways besides size, in fact, is that its only the ID49 Gateway that supports Optimus thanks to the GeForce GT 330M GPU.
The Gateway ID49 starts at $679.99 while the ID59 costs $799.99. If you’re looking for a cheap Core iX laptop, these looks like great, attractive machines to consider.