Garmin or TomTom???

ipodouch

I am having some trouble deciding which gps system is better. After reading at least 50 reviews the majority of the users say Garmin. But the ones that support TomTom say that its maps are more precise and if you miss your turn it can re-route better.

Could you please help me out?:wacko
And could you tell me which device has FREE map up-dates, cause i don't want to spend X amount on a gps; then have to pay more after.

deep

Prime VIP
I am having some trouble deciding which gps system is better. After reading at least 50 reviews the majority of the users say Garmin. But the ones that support TomTom say that its maps are more precise and if you miss your turn it can re-route better.

Could you please help me out?:wacko
And could you tell me which device has FREE map up-dates, cause i don't want to spend X amount on a gps; then have to pay more after.

i bought TOMTOM 550XL TM last year in Nov , it came with free lifetime traffic updates and free map updates and nice carry case
it worked fine for me, we took it to canada and it was awesome.
and traffic update thing really works well, it tells you beforehand that there is somekind of problem enroute and will calculate new route if there is any.
but sometime it annoys too as it happened with me once that there were two possible paths and both were similar congested so it was toggling between two.

otherwise it works flawless.

cons: doesnot have bluetooth, (i dont need it)

garmin : i never tried it , but its costlier than TOMTOM

if you buy tomtom make sure to select a model which comes with free lifetime maps as if you buy maps later its too costly.

ipodouch

i bought TOMTOM 550XL TM last year in Nov , it came with free lifetime traffic updates and free map updates and nice carry case
it worked fine for me, we took it to canada and it was awesome.
and traffic update thing really works well, it tells you beforehand that there is somekind of problem enroute and will calculate new route if there is any.
but sometime it annoys too as it happened with me once that there were two possible paths and both were similar congested so it was toggling between two.

otherwise it works flawless.

cons: doesnot have bluetooth, (i dont need it)

garmin : i never tried it , but its costlier than TOMTOM

if you buy tomtom make sure to select a model which comes with free lifetime maps as if you buy maps later its too costly.

I'm not worried about price, but more concerned about making a good investment into a product which will last me some time.

I did notice that the older TomTom's don't provide support for map updates.

Thanks for your help :D

deep

Prime VIP
I'm not worried about price, but more concerned about making a good investment into a product which will last me some time.

I did notice that the older TomTom's don't provide support for map updates.

Thanks for your help :D

with TOMTOM it depends on model which you buy, if you buy something ending with TM it comes with free traffic and map updates for life.

i have updated maps once so far and itworked well

kanjjar

Banned
Well first of all i don't like that british lady's voice its full of attitude.
Its like..... Left turn in 1 mile:mad....Left turn in .5 miles:angry....Well, there it was :fp........
and i don't have the option to change it either.
Secondly at the start it takes about 5 minutes just to search and connect to satellite which is pain in the Beep........

ipodouch

Well first of all i don't like that british lady's voice its full of attitude.
Its like..... Left turn in 1 mile:mad....Left turn in .5 miles:angry....Well, there it was :fp........
and i don't have the option to change it either.
Secondly at the start it takes about 5 minutes just to search and connect to satellite which is pain in the Beep........

how old is your gps? if it's newish then that's a real bumer :P :jhaa