Channel shortages indicate iMac refresh

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

Upcoming iMacs should finally ditch Intel’s Core 2 Duo CPUs and transition to multiple quad-core configurations, including Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 models. Sources “familiar with the matter” told well-informed AppleInsider that Apple began asking its retail channel partners to sell their iMac stock and brace for short-term shortages ahead as the company is mulling possible new SKUs:
In particular, a person familiar with the matter says the Mac maker is informing some of its distributors not to expect any further stock of the entry level 21.5-inch, 3.06GHz iMac, implying that production of that model has ceased. Meanwhile, those with ties to the company’s stateside reseller channels are being advised to sell through their stock of all existing iMac models and to keep their inventories as lean as possible for the next few weeks.
Apple wanted to move the entire iMac lineup to Intel’s Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 processors last October, sources claim, but CPU shortages forced to company to postpone that plan. AppleInsider also speculated Apple might offer iMacs with AMD processors soon. The report corroborated a Hardmac story to a certain extent claiming that Apple would refresh iMacs and Mac Pros during the summer, in time for its back to school season. The new Macs might adopt USB 3.0 and other updated I/O interfaces, they wrote:
On this occasion, Apple should inaugurate two great innovations, the arrival of USB 3.0 and a faster FireWire interface, 1600 or 3200. Thus, FireWire will not be forgotten. Note that Apple is also interested in LightPeak technology, but they do not expect to use it or set it up before one year.