Apple finally releases Core i5 and Core i7 MacBook Pros

harpreetji

Rags to Riches
macs-1.jpg

Finally, finally. Apple finally released MacBook Pros with Intel’s latest chips while updating nearly everything else, too. The just announced MBPs forgo the Core 2 Duo CPUs in favor of the faster and more efficient Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs — except for the 13-inch line. The 15-inch now rocks a i5 or i7 CPU, 4GB of RAM, and switchable graphics between an Intel HD Graphics GPU and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB of RAM. The 17-inch’s spec bumps are similar but instead gets graced with the Core i5 standard with the Core i7 fetching $200 more. It also got the new GPU options but with 512MB of memory on the GeForce GT 330M along with a 500GB hard drive.

Along with the updated, but far from new, computing power is longer battery life. Apple is claiming that these new rigs can go all day long with the 13-inch sporting a 10-hour battery life and the 15- and 17-inch topping off at 9-hours.

Pricing is of course just like the previous generation with the 15-inch starting out at $1,799 for the Core i5 and $2,199 for the Core i7 with the 17-inch going for $2,299.

The 13-inch aren’t lucky enough to get new CPUs, but the smallest MBP at least got a new graphics engine by way of the NVIDIA GeForce 320M. Better than nothing, but it’s a far cry from the new powerhouse of portability in the Alienware M11x.