Apple delays iMac shipments – again!

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

The Mac maker has pushed back shipments of 27-inch iMacs by three weeks. It’s unclear whether this delay is blamed on issues in the supply chain or manufacturing problems.
Apple’s flagship 27-inch iMac model has been hit with a new delay. While the company’s online store has 21-5-inch models shipping within 24 hours, both 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2.66GHz Intel Core i5 27-inch iMac model have been listed Thursday with an estimated three-week shipping time. The Cupertino firm offered no explanation for the delay at press time.
This is the second time in less than a month that Apple’s flagship iMac has been hit with shipping issues. As Geek reported, Apple pushed back iMac shipments by two weeks in the run-up to Christmas following reports of screen flicker issues, problems with a yellow tint on displays, and graphical glitches suspected on faulty ATI graphics cards. Apple later issued a statement apologizing for the situation without detailing a possible cause for the delay.

The company then followed-up with a software patch that was supposed to remedy graphics glitches plaguing 27-inch iMacs. Even though it did appear to fix the issue, an unknown portion of the affected owners have been insisting – on both Apple’s discussion forums and in Geek’s comments – that the software patch made no difference to them.
Both 27-inch Core i5 and Core i7 iMac models utilize AMD’s ATI Radeon HD 4670 and Radeon HD 4850 discreet graphic chips, respectively. Interestingly, an October report claimed that Apple gulped the entire holiday supply of the ATI Radeon 4000 series GPUs, causing shortages in the industry by securing a 60-day worth output of the ATI Radeon 4850 chips. This indicates that Apple had estimated a high demand for its top-of-the-line 27-inch iMacs.