The Birds of Gurbani

Lily

B.R
Staff member
[URL="http://www.sikhism.us/members/aad0002-albums-birds-gurbani-picture109-painted-stork-found-northern-india-modern.jpg"][/URL]

This is the painted stork-- found in northern India. The modern name for this creature is "lamdhing"

The stork is another bird in Gurbani that does not fare well. It is considered, much like the crane and the heron, to be a spiritual pretender, a fraud. Poor stork!

ਇਕਿ ਅਪਣੈ ਸੁਆਇ ਆਇ ਬਹਹਿ ਗੁਰ ਆਗੈ ਜਿਉ ਬਗੁਲ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਲਗਾਈਐ ॥੩॥
eik apanai suaae aae behehi gur aagai jio bagul samaadhh lagaaeeai ||3||
Some come for their own purposes, and sit before the Guru; they pretend to be in Samaadhi, like storks with their eyes closed. ||3||

ਬਗੁਲਾ ਕਾਗ ਨੀਚ ਕੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਜਾਇ ਕਰੰਗ ਬਿਖੂ ਮੁਖਿ ਲਾਈਐ ॥
bagulaa kaag neech kee sangath jaae karang bikhoo mukh laaeeai ||
Associating with the wretched and the lowly, like the stork and the crow, is like feeding on a carcass of poison.

ਨਾਨਕ ਮੇਲਿ ਮੇਲਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਹੰਸੁ ਕਰਾਈਐ ॥੪॥੪॥
naanak mael mael prabh sangath mil sangath hans karaaeeai ||4||4||
Nanak: O God, unite me with the Sangat, the Congregation. United with the Sangat, I will become a swan. ||4||4||

Lily

B.R
Staff member

Saker Baaj

ਅਚਲ ਸਿੰਘ ਬਾਚ ॥
Achal Singh baach||
Speech of Achal Singh:

ਸਵੈਯਾ ॥
Sawaiyaa||
SWAYYA

ਜੀਵਤ ਜੇ ਜਗ ਮੈ ਰਹਿ ਹੈ ਅਤਿ ਜੁੱਧ ਕਥਾ ਹਨਰੀ ਸੁਨਿ ਲੈਹੈ ॥ ਤਾਂ ਛਬਿ ਕੀ ਕਵਿਤਾ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਕਬਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਰੇਸ਼ਨ ਜਾਇ ਰਿਝੈ ਹੈ ॥
Jeevat je jag mai rah(i) hai at(i0 juddh kathaa hamrisun(i) laihai|| Tan chhab(i) kavitaa kar(i) kabi Raam nareshan jaae rijhai hai||
“Those who will survive in the world, they will listen to our war episode and the poets will please the kings with that poetry;

ਜੋ ਬਲ ਪੈ ਕਹਿ ਹੈ ਕਥ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਰੀਝ ਘਨੋ ਤਿਹ ਕੋ ਧਨ ਦੈ ਹੈ ॥ ਹੇ ਹਰਿਜੂ ਇਹ ਆਹਵ ਕੇ ਜੁਗ ਚਾਰਨਿ ਮੈ ਗਨ ਗੰਧ੍ਰਬ ਗੈਹੈ ॥੧੧੭੭॥
Jo bal pai kah(i) hai kath pan?it reejh ghano tih ko dhan dai hai|| He har(i)joo eh aahav ke jug chaaran(i) mai gan gandhrab gaihai||1177||
“But if the Pundits will narrate it, they will also receive enormous wealth; and O Krishna ! Ganas and Gandharvas will also sing about this war.”1177.

ਸਵੈਯਾ ॥
Sawaiyaa||
SWAYYA

ਕੋਪ ਕੈ ਉੱਤਰ ਦੇਤ ਭਯੋ ਅਰਿ ਕੀ ਬਤੀਯਾ ਸਨਿ ਸਯਾਮ ਸਬੈ ॥ ਚਿਰੀਯਾ ਬਨ ਮੈ ਚੁਹਕੈ ਤਬ ਲਉ ਅਤਿ ਕੋਪ ਨ ਆਵਤ ਬਾਜ ਜਬੈ ॥
Kop kai uttar det bhayo ar(i) kibateeyaa sun(i) Syaam sabai|| Chireeyaa ban mai chuhkai tab lau at(i) kop na aavat baaj jabai||
Krishna heard all this talk of the enemy, got enraged, and said, “The sparrow only chirps in the forest as long as the falcon does not come there;

ਗਰਬਾਤ ਹੈ ਮੂਢ ਘਨੋ ਰਨ ਮੈ ਕਟਿਹੌ ਤੁਹਿ ਸੀਸ ਲਖੈਗੋ ਤਬੈ ॥ ਤਿਹ ਤੇ ਤਜਿ ਸ਼ੰਕ ਨਿਸ਼ੰਕ ਲਰੋ ਬਲਬੀਰ ਕਹਯੋ ਕਹਾਂ ਢੀਲ ਅਬੈ ॥੧੧੭੮॥
Garbaat hai moo?h ghano ran mai kaatteehau tuh(i) sees lakhaigo tabai|| Tih te taj(i) shank nishank laro balbeer kahyo kahaan ?heel abai||1178||
“O fool, you are absorbed in too much pride; you will know only then, when I chop your head; therefore forsaking all illusions come and fight and do not delay any more.”1178.

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The "white" falcon of Sri Guru Gobind Singh was actually the GyrFalcon or Gray Falcon, in old Punjabi "baaj."

"Once Guru Gobind Singh Ji was in the forest and he let the baaj fly off towards a small animal scurrying about in the undergrowth. The baaj caught the animal and flew back to the Guru. It tore at the animal and fed on it. The accompanying Sikhs were taken aback by this incident and asked Guru Ji to explain. “In a previous time the baaj and this animal were friends. The one who is now dead asked for a loan and swearing on the Almightys name said that he would pay it back. He was devious and never did return it, so this is payback time.” In this incident Guru Ji enlightened his Sikhs that if you take something that is not yours or promise to return it then you will be held to that promise no matter what.

'The most significant story concerning the baaj is in 1699 when Guru Sahib Ji had created Amrit (holy nector) for the precise purpose of creating the Khalsa brotherhood. A few drops of Amrit had fallen from the iron cauldron, which were readily consumed by a few sparrows. The sparrows turned onto the baaj and repeatedly assaulted him to such an extent that he had to take flight, followed vigorously by the sparrows. This incident showed the Sikhs that the Amrit created by the Tenth Guru had immense power, after drinking a few drops a small sparrow not only had the courage to take on a bird of prey but to harassed it until it took flight and fled. Guru Gobind Singh Ji said “I will create my Khalsa of such courage and vigour that he will take on armies of the enemy, he will stand up for the poor and the downtrodden – Sava Lakh say ek ladaho (One will confront a lakh and a quarter of the enemy)”

'In 1984 amongst the turmoil and terrible fate of so many Sikhs a white baaj appeared, seen by many it circled and perched on a branch, telling the Sikhs that the Guru was with them.

'From time to time a white baaj is seen in the mountains of the Himalayas in the surrounding areas of Hemkund Sahib where Guru Gobind Singh Ji performed much hard meditation to merge with the Almighty. "

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The sparrow hawk.

The hawk is mentioned only 5 times in Gurbani. There are two different ways that the hawk is understood. Here is one way:

ਸੀਚਾਨੇ ਜਿਉ ਪੰਖੀਆ ਜਾਲੀ ਬਧਿਕ ਹਾਥਿ ॥
seechaanae jio pankheeaa jaalee badhhik haathh ||
Think of the hawk preying on the birds, and the net in the hands of the hunter.

ਗੁਰਿ ਰਾਖੇ ਸੇ ਉਬਰੇ ਹੋਰਿ ਫਾਥੇ ਚੋਗੈ ਸਾਥਿ ॥
gur raakhae sae oubarae hor faathhae chogai saathh ||
Those who are protected by the Guru
are saved; the others are caught by the bait.

And this is the other vision of the hawk, from Sheik Farid:

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਦਰੀਆਵੈ ਕੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਬਗੁਲਾ ਬੈਠਾ ਕੇਲ ਕਰੇ ॥
fareedhaa dhareeaavai kannhai bagulaa baithaa kael karae ||
Fareed, the crane perches on the river bank, playing joyfully.

ਕੇਲ ਕਰੇਦੇ ਹੰਝ ਨੋ ਅਚਿੰਤੇ ਬਾਜ ਪਏ ॥
kael karaedhae hanjh no achinthae baaj peae ||
While it is playing, a hawk suddenly pounces on it.

ਬਾਜ ਪਏ ਤਿਸੁ ਰਬ ਦੇ ਕੇਲਾਂ ਵਿਸਰੀਆਂ ॥
baaj peae this rab dhae kaelaan visareeaaan ||
When the Hawk of God attacks, playful sport is forgotten.

ਜੋ ਮਨਿ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਚੇਤੇ ਸਨਿ ਸੋ ਗਾਲੀ ਰਬ ਕੀਆਂ ॥੯੯॥
jo man chith n chaethae san so gaalee rab keeaaan ||99||
God does what is not expected or even considered
. ||99||

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The own is mentioned only one time by Guruji. In the Western tradition, the owl symbolizes wisdom, a keeness of sight perhaps the basis for this belief. Thus, going far back into pagan times and even today, the owl is understood to be a familiar of other planes of knowledge. An owl might be the companion of a witch, sorcerer or shaman. We say "wise as an owl."
However, in Gurbani the owl is seen quite differently. The owl is not seen as wise.

ਸੰਪਤ ਦੋਲ ਝੋਲ ਸੰਗਿ ਝੂਲਤ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਗਨ ਭ੍ਰਮਤ ਘੁਘਨਾ ॥
sanpath dhol jhol sang jhoolath maaeiaa magan bhramath ghughanaa ||
You swing in the swing of wealth, intoxicated with Maya, and you wander around like an owl.

In the old Punjab, to see an owl perched on the rooftop of a house or on a tree nearby was considered to be a bad omen, perhaps even predicting a death, but certainly indicating that the events of the day would come to a sad end.

Lily

B.R
Staff member

ਚਕਵੀ ਸੂਰ ਸਨੇਹੁ ਚਿਤਵੈ ਆਸ ਘਣੀ ਕਦਿ ਦਿਨੀਅਰੁ ਦੇਖੀਐ ॥
chakavee soor sanaehu chithavai aas ghanee kadh dhineear dhaekheeai ||
The chakvi bird is in love with the sun, and thinks of it constantly; her greatest longing is to behold the dawn.

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The stork does not fare well in Gurbani. All the Gurus who sing of the stork compare the bird to a fraud, someone making a pretense of meditation and samadhi. So sitting like a stork within the Congregation of the Holy is something of a joke for Guruji.

ਇਕਿ ਅਪਣੈ ਸੁਆਇ ਆਇ ਬਹਹਿ ਗੁਰ ਆਗੈ ਜਿਉ ਬਗੁਲ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਲਗਾਈਐ ॥੩॥
eik apanai suaae aae behehi gur aagai jio bagul samaadhh lagaaeeai ||3||
Some come for their own purposes, and sit
before the Guru; they pretend to be in Samaadhi, like storks with their eyes closed. ||3||

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The cuckoo, member of the family of chatriks, whose photo was taken in the Haryana National Park.

ਆਨ ਜਲਾ ਸਿਉ ਕਾਜੁ ਨ ਕਛੂਐ ਹਰਿ ਬੂੰਦ ਚਾਤ੍ਰਿਕ ਕਉ ਦੀਜੈ ॥੧॥
aan jalaa sio kaaj n kashhooai har boondh chaathrik ko dheejai ||1||
I am not concerned with any other water; please bless this songbird with a Drop of Your Water, Lord. ||1||

Lily

B.R
Staff member

ਸਰਵਰ ਮਹਿ ਹੰਸੁ ਪ੍ਰਾਨਪਤਿ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੧॥
saravar mehi hans praanapath paavai ||1||
Within this pool, the swans find their Lord, the Lord of their souls. ||1||

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The crane stands on one leg so gingerly and with such focus and concentration. Guru Nanak Dev often compared the crane to a sidh who stood on one leg in focused meditation.

ਉਦਕ ਮਾਹਿ ਜੈਸੇ ਬਗੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਮਾਡੈ ॥੧॥
oudhak maahi jaisae bag dhhiaan maaddai ||1||
The heron appears to be meditating, but it is concentrating on the water. ||1||

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The Swan according to Guruji

ਸਰਵਰ ਮਹਿ ਹੰਸੁ ਹੰਸ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਗਰੁ ॥
saravar mehi hans hans mehi saagar ||
The swans are in the pool, and the pool is in the swans.||1||

Lily

B.R
Staff member
http://www.sikhism.us/members/aad00...peacock-member-chatrik-family-she-touches.jpg

The Peacock -- a member of the chatrik family -- she touches the feet of her husband lord when she greets him in the morning. Peacocks are symbol of compassion, detachment and spiritual craving in the Bhuddist tradition. In the Vedantic tradition peacocks pulled the chariot of Lord Krishna.

ਪੀਤ ਬਸਨ ਕੁੰਦ ਦਸਨ ਪ੍ਰਿਆ ਸਹਿਤ ਕੰਠ ਮਾਲ ਮੁਕਟੁ ਸੀਸਿ ਮੋਰ ਪੰਖ ਚਾਹਿ ਜੀਉ ॥
peeth basan kundh dhasan pria sehith kanth maal mukatt sees mor pankh chaahi jeeo ||
As Krishna, You wear yellow robes, with teeth like jasmine flowers; You dwell with Your lovers, with Your mala around Your neck, and You joyfully adorn Your head with the crown of peacock feathers.

"The peacock's beautiful and distinctive colouring is said to be a gift from the god, Indra. One day the King of Gods was doing battle with Ravana, the Demon King. The peacock, which in those days resembled his plain brown hen, took pity on Indra and raised its tail to form a blind or screen behind which Indra could hide himself. As a reward for this act of compassion, the bird was honored with the jewel-like blue-green plumage that it bears to this day....

Krishna, the avatar of Vishnu who is God-as-the-one-responding -to-devotion, is also depicted in the company of peacocks. One of Krishna's roles is as the irresistible divine suitor. Perhaps that is the link to the recommendation in The Kama Sutra that, if a man wishes to appear attractive to others, he can wear a peacock's bone covered in gold tied to his right hand."

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The Indian Vulture.

In the United States, the species of vulture we have here is called Cathares aura or "the golden purifier." Among the aboriginal or native American peoples, the vulture is a power animal, one that uses the energy of the earth to sail in the sky and to pull away from the forces of gravity.

The vulture cleans the earth of carrion and death, and never kills to feed itself.

ਜਿਥੈ ਡਿਠਾ ਮਿਰਤਕੋ ਇਲ ਬਹਿਠੀ ਆਇ ॥੨॥
jithhai ddithaa mirathako eil behithee aae ||2||
- wherever the vulture sees a dead body, he flies down and lands. ||2||

In many religious traditions, the vulture is not a symbol of something disgusting. Rather it symbolizes purification. To dream of a vulture is considered a positive omen. The vulture indicates that all that is rotten in the core of the self will be eaten away.

Lily

B.R
Staff member

ਜਉ ਤੁਮ ਗਿਰਿਵਰ ਤਉ ਹਮ ਮੋਰਾ ॥
jo thum girivar tho ham moraa ||
If You are the mountain, Lord, then I am the peacock.

In Sikhi
, the peacock symbolizes the soul's craving for the Lord. In Shinto peacocks symbolize compassion. I found this on the web, related to the Buddhist tradition:

"The association of this jewel-tone bird with its sun-like fan of a tail evocative of the Wheel of Dharma -- the Buddha's teachings, its connection to the ideas of immortality and compassion, and the unification of views or opposites, as well as the correspondence with the Garden which is the Pure Land, demonstrate in Mahayana Buddhism the archetypical nature of the relationship between the peacock and Amitabha.

'In the depiction of this Buddha of Eternal Light, he is seated under a tree; we see its flowers and leaves peeking through the pavilion. Tenga Rinpoche says, " . . . birds, in particular, have strong desire and craving, so, as a symbol of craving transformed into discriminating wisdom, Amitabha's throne is supported by peacocks."

'There are actually eight peacocks that support his throne, one at each corner of the base. They stand for the idea that no matter the misdeeds committed during one's lifetime, rebirth is possible in Sukhavati, the Pure Land of Great Bliss that is the Western Paradise of Opameh [Tibetan for Amitabha]. Any and all evil-doing is eventually absorbed."

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The house crow. In the Punjab, these crows sit in groups on the rooftops of village houses. Although a familiar sight in the villages, in Gurbani, the crow is the symbol of spiritual doubt. And Guruji often compares the crow to those spiritually lost who wander from one deserted house to another.

Guru Nanak said,

ਕਿਆ ਹੰਸੁ ਕਿਆ ਬਗੁਲਾ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ ॥
kiaa hans kiaa bagulaa jaa ko nadhar karaee ||
Which is the swan, and which is the crane? It is only by His Glance of Grace.

ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਕਾਗਹੁ ਹੰਸੁ ਕਰੇਇ ॥੨॥
jo this bhaavai naanakaa kaagahu hans karaee ||2||
Whoever is pleasing to Him, O Nanak, is transformed from a crow into a swan. ||2||

And from Sant Kabir,

ਉਰ ਨ ਭੀਜੈ ਪਗੁ ਨਾ ਖਿਸੈ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਨ ਕੀ ਆਸਾ ॥੧॥
our n bheejai pag naa khisai har dharasan kee aasaa ||1||
Her heart is not happy, but she does not retrace her steps, in hopes of seeing the Blessed Vision of the Lord's Darshan. ||1||

ਉਡਹੁ ਨ ਕਾਗਾ ਕਾਰੇ ॥
ouddahu n kaagaa kaarae ||
So fly away, black crow,

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The purple heron.

ਹੰਸਾ ਵੇਖਿ ਤਰੰਦਿਆ ਬਗਾਂ ਭਿ ਆਯਾ ਚਾਉ ॥
hansaa vaekh tharandhiaa bagaan bh aayaa chaao ||
Seeing the swans swimming, the herons became envious.

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The Hawk-Cuckoo, this bird is also a member of the chatrik family.

ਊਨਵਿ ਘਨਹਰੁ ਗਰਜੈ ਬਰਸੈ ਕੋਕਿਲ ਮੋਰ ਬੈਰਾਗੈ ॥
oonav ghanehar garajai barasai kokil mor bairaagai ||
The low-hanging clouds crack with thunder and burst. The cuckoos and the peacocks are filled with passion,

The chatriks of Gurbani are a family of songbirds that include the peafowl, nightingale, cuckoo and kohel.

Lily

B.R
Staff member

Another chatrik, similar to the partridge in Europe and North America.

The chatrik in sriRaag is a symbol of the soul bride.

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਸਦਾ ਫਿਰੈ ਬਿਲਲਾਦੀ ਬਿਨੁ ਪਿਰ ਨੀਦ ਨ ਪਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੪॥
anadhin sadhaa firai bilalaadhee bin pir needh n paavaniaa ||4||
She wanders around continually, crying out, night and day. Without her Husband Lord, she cannot get any sleep. ||4||

Lily

B.R
Staff member

The Sheldrake or in Gurbani, the chakvi duck

ਰੇ ਮਨ ਐਸੀ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਜੈਸੀ ਚਕਵੀ ਸੂਰ ॥
rae man aisee har sio preeth kar jaisee chakavee soor ||
O mind, love the Lord, as the chakvee duck loves the sun.

In Gurbani, the chakvi duck is connected to a Hindu legend. Hindu legend says that the male and female cry all night for one another, and only become content when they meet again in the morning. This was the result of a sorcerer's curse on a princess and her forbidden lover. At night the male and female sleep apart on opposite banks of the river or pond. When the sun rises they are united.

ਕਬੀਰ ਚਕਈ ਜਉ ਨਿਸਿ ਬੀਛੁਰੈ ਆਇ ਮਿਲੈ ਪਰਭਾਤਿ ॥
kabeer chakee jo nis beeshhurai aae milai parabhaath ||
Kabeer, the chakvi duck is separated from her love through the night, but in the morning, she meets him again.

ਅਨਿਕ ਸੂਖ ਚਕਵੀ ਨਹੀ ਚਾਹਤ ਅਨਦ ਪੂਰਨ ਪੇਖਿ ਦੇਂਹ ॥
anik sookh chakavee nehee chaahath anadh pooran paekh dhaeneh ||
The chakvi duck does not desire many comforts, but it is filled with bliss upon seeing the dawn

Lily

B.R
Staff member

And another cuckoo, one more chatrik.

ਕੋਕਿਲ ਅੰਬ ਪਰੀਤਿ ਚਵੈ ਸੁਹਾਵੀਆ ਮਨ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗੁ ਕੀਜੀਐ ॥
kokil anb pareeth chavai suhaaveeaa man har rang keejeeai ||
The cuckoo is in love with the mango tree, and sings so sweetly. O my mind, love the Lord in this way.